The Book of Mormon

Courtesy Julieta Cervantes

Nine-time Tony Award-winning musical “The Book of Mormon” is coming to the Lied Center for Performing Arts this holiday season on Dec. 11.

Created by “South Park” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone in collaboration with “Avenue Q” creator and “Frozen” composer Robert Lopez, “The Book of Mormon” is a comedy which follows two Mormon missionaries as they travel to Uganda to preach their faith in an effort to convert a disinterested population more concerned with crushing poverty and violence plaguing their home.

The musical is choreographed by Tony Award-winner Casey Nicholaw (“Monty Python’s Spamalot, The Drowsy Chaperone”) and is directed by Nicholaw and Parker.

The musical has won nine Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Best Score, Best Book, Best Direction, Best Featured Actress (Nikki M. James), Best Scenic Design, Best Lighting Design, Best Sound Design and Best Orchestrations.

“The Book of Mormon” was first staged in 2011 and has since grossed over $500 million in ticket sales and received overwhelmingly positive response from critics and fans alike. The original cast recording album reached third on the Billboard charts, becoming the highest charting Broadway album until “Hamilton’s” release.

Tickets go on sale on Thursday, Aug. 2, according to a Lied Center press release. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Lied Center box office at 301 N 12th Street, online or over the phone.