Universe Contest

Joe Wade

1. Great American Desert

It’s moody, it’s acoustic and it’s a great way to get pumped for the rest of the week. Omaha singer/songwriter Max Holmquist will draw listeners in and leave them wanting more. Also, according to the Facebook page, this will be the last opportunity to see this artist perform in Lincoln for a while, because he will be taking time off to write.

when: Tuesday, 8 p.m.

where: Bourbon Theatre, 1415 O St.

18+

2. Dirty Talker

This superbly talented trio of musicians is the solid alt-rock sound music fans need. Go see this show. It may not be clean and it will be late, but it will be a whole lotta’ fun. So come early to get that beverage of choice and be sure to pick up their new album “Letters.”

when: Wednesday, 12:30 a.m.

where: Zoo Bar, 136 N. 14th St.

21+

3. Laetitia Sadier

This is the artist that makes Lincoln Calling an international affair. This is the opportunity to experience French, indie-post-rock at its most original and innovative. Sadier, of the band Stereolab, is sultry and angelic. Don’t be fooled into even thinking of missing this one.

when: Thursday, 11:30 p.m.

where: Bourbon Theatre, 1415 O St.

18+

4. Talking Mountain

This Omaha band is the best electro-indie-post–pop in the Midwest. The music buzzes and whistles along with great atmospheric lighting effects to enthrall tender young minds. Grab some dancing shoes and jump around.

when: Friday, 8 p.m.

where: Black Market, 1033 O St.

ALL AGES

5. Dude Won’t Die

Love is a strong word but when these guys are playing, you feel it. This band represents all that is good and courageously defends our city (and their hometown) from evildoers with funky, finger-lickin’ rock ‘n’ roll. They are also some of the nicest gentlemen to be in the presence of, so say hello and show some love.

when: Saturday, 10:30 p.m.

where: The Alley, 1031 M St.

21+

Chance Solem-Pfeifer

1. Manny Coon and the Spotlight Killers

To my knowledge, it’s Manny Coon’s first live performance with a full band after years as one of Lincoln’s essential solo acts. With Manny’s finger-picking magic, I’m genuinely curious to hear how it works backed by drums and bass. Bets on, though, that no one on stage has a better beard.

when: Friday, 9:30 p.m.

where: Zoo Bar, 136 N. 14th St.

21+

2. Kill County

Despite calling Lincoln home, Kill County is a band simply not to be missed when in town, since its members are spread around the country and world most of the year. On a truly stacked Friday night of performances at Duffy’s, the hour with Kill County will inevitably provide the apt soundtrack to the internal regret and longing you spend the rest of the night trying to forget.

when: Friday, 9 p.m.

where: Duffy’s Tavern, 1412 O St.

21+

3. The Kickback

The Chicago boys love us and we love them right back. No matter that they play in Lincoln more than some local acts, The Kickback is a band that takes its listeners somewhere: maybe 1979, but more tangibly a place where pleasant rock flies at cynical lyrics and the two collide in a superb live show.

when: Friday, 10 p.m.

where: Duffy’s Tavern, 1412 O St.

21+

4. Universe Contest

You are going to see a lot of things. It’s the last show of the night (1 a.m.) at Duffy’s and you may question your senses even more than you normally do at that hour. Crowd-surfing, face paint and the costumes of nine-year-old girls about to trick-or-treat are all on the table. But mostly we can expect new tunes from a band that’s never still.

when: Friday, 1 a.m.

where: Duffy’s Tavern, 1412 O St.

21+

5. Life Is Cool

The beauty of Lincoln Calling in some ways is to see and hear so much of what’s familiar in the Lincoln music context packed into the space of a single week. But nestled in the known is the live debut of Life Is Cool: a dose of the unknown. A supergroup composed of pieces from Eagle Seagull, Pharmacy Spirits, Beep Beep and Cat Island, Life Is Cool is using one of the biggest platforms in local music to party with all of us for the first time.

when: Sunday, 10 p.m.

where: Duffy’s Tavern, 1412 O St.

21+

Tyler Keown

1. Good Show Great Show

Don’t miss the chance to hear GSGS’s beautiful melodies, masterful vocal harmonies and emotional sounds. They’ll be playing tracks of their recently released album, “Larry Turquoise,” and it’s a sure bet that the show will be as great as their name suggests.

when: Wednesday, 8 p.m.

where: Duffy’s Tavern, 1412 O St.

18+

2. Classes

Formed earlier this year, Classes have taught (heh heh) us all how to make songs go from beautiful to haunting. Soft guitar overlaid with orchestral-sounding strings and a newly-added percussion section will lead to a concert that may not have you head-banging, but will likely leave you just as satisfied.

when: Wednesday, 8:30

where: Bourbon Theatre, 1415 O St.

18+

3. Bassthoven

Sometimes bass is manageable and you can hold onto it. Other times it’s too much to wrangle and you have no choice other than to drop the bass. Call it a hunch, but if you head over to see Bassthoven perform, you’re not going to be able to hold onto the bass. Then your only option then is to dance like there’s no tomorrow.

when: Wednesday,

where: Mix Barcade, 1427 O St.

21+

4. Carrot Carrot

Carrot Carrot’s show during Lincoln Calling will also be their last. They’ll fittingly play Duffy’s, where they played their first show about four years ago. Don’t miss the chance to see a staple of Lincoln music play their last concert.

when: Wednesday, 12 a.m.

where: Duffy’s Tavern, 1412 O St.

18+

5. Time Hammer

Sometimes you have to log on to get your blog on. Not only is the Time Hammer show going to be free, but it’s also going to be awesome. Clocks will be broken, raps will be spit and enjoyment will be had. Don’t miss this one, unless you want to lose your mind (on your blog).

when: Thursday, 12 a.m.

where: Yia Yia’s, 1423 O St.

21+

Katie Fennelly

1. Shipbuilding Co.

How many bands is Dave Ozinga in right now? Don’t answer that, because he’s probably added seven more in the time it took you to read that sentence. He and the rest of Shipbuilding Co., which includes James Reilly (Pharmacy Spirits, Beep Beep), will not disappoint.

when: Thursday, 9 p.m.

where: Duffy’s Tavern, 1412 O St.

21+

2. UUVVWWZ

If you didn’t get enough Dave Ozinga at Duffy’s and/or you don’t hate yourself, you won’t miss Double U’s fit of awesome. The group just finished its second album, “Trusted Language.” Also, according to Hear Nebraska’s Michael Todd, UUVVWWZ’s singer, the wonderful Teal Gardner, gives great hugs.

when: Thursday, 10:30 p.m.

where: Bourbon Theatre, 1415 O St.

18+

3. Time Hammer

Dudes are crazy. Though I have no real-world experience to draw from, my guess is Time Hammer is the equivalent of looking through a kaleidoscope while on acid. I’ll let you know how accurate that is when I find a kaleidoscope.

when: Thursday, Midnight

where: Yia Yia’s, 1423 O St.

21+

4. Jarana

I was pleasantly surprised by this band at Lincoln Exposed. They bring a lot of energy and although it’s in Spanish and I have no idea what they are saying, I know they as a band just ‘get’ me.

when: Saturday, 11:45 p.m.

where: Zoo Bar, 136 N. 14th St.

21+

5. Life is Cool

I have no idea what to expect, but they are closing out Lincoln Calling, so it must be good. From what little I’ve heard, I’m guessing they will bring the funk on Sunday. If anything, you should go because it’s the band’s official debut, and you need to say you were there.

when: Sunday, 10 p.m.

where: Duffy’s Tavern, 1412 O St.

21+

For event schedule, visit Lincoln Calling's Facebook page.